As part of the Universities and Networks workstream since April 2022, we are delighted with the enthusiasm from the Young MCA community in offering their assistance in expanding our reach across the UK and promoting a career in the consulting industry to incoming talent. Over the last year, we have focused on the following:
- University Case study events: We continue to engage with students by running university case study events, collaborating with a variety of universities. These sessions are made possible by the support from Career Departments and student Consulting Societies. Strong support from our Young MCA members has meant that we are able to provide diverse representation of the consulting industry, to address topic and industry specific case study sessions.
- Expanded relationships with universities in new regions: With assistance from the Regions committees across the UK, we have and will continue to expand our relationships with universities, with a current focus on the midlands.
- Case study competition: Last year, we assisted the University of Exeter in running a case study competition, where the Young MCA helped to deliver case study training.
- Q&A Panels: Our most popular events with students are Q&A panels. These sessions are hugely beneficial for both parties, as volunteers hone their public speaking and networking skills and students can assess whether a career in consulting after their studies are the right path for them. We have hosted many events across the UK and are always looking for panelists so please get in touch if this is something you are interested in!
- University lecture support programme: We have continued to support Birkbeck, University of London’s change management course working with their lecturer to deliver an evening class. A panel of Young MCA consultants with experience in change management were invited to support students to address a case study, by providing practical insights through small working groups with students.
For the remainder of our tenure, our focus will be on:
- Increasing networking opportunities: We are looking at a networking event for graduates within the Young MCA community to take place in 2024, so watch this space.
- Continue to run university engagements: We will continue to collaborate with careers departments for Panel Discussion and Case Study Events, and to further expand our university network in line with our regional Young MCA presence.
If you are interested in helping our workstream, we are always looking for volunteers. If you have any ideas or would like to help run or volunteer for any engagements, please contact email@example.com.
Written by Leigh Storer and Joseph Riou, Young MCA Vice Chairs of Universities & Networks