In 2016 NECS Consultancy won a competitive tender to deliver specified elements of the General Practice Five Year Forward View for NHS England – Midlands and East.
The expected benefits to be gained were;
- A progressive, consistent and comprehensive approach to GPFV planning and delivery across the region
- Identifying best practice and learning, to be shared between the DCOs and wider NHSE M&E stakeholders achieving efficiencies and progress towards the regional and national plans and associated targets
Improving access to General Practice was the number one priority of the General Practice Five Year Forward View and the most challenging.
- NECS were commissioned by NHS England to deliver the target by 31 March 2019.
- The 2018/19 Planning Guidance which was issued in early February 2018 directed that the target be delivered 6 months sooner, by 1 October 2018
- The client trusted NECS to develop a delivery model for GPFV different to that in place all the other regions
- The start point for NECS was from a place of disadvantage compared to other regions in terms of funding and existing Access coverage from Prime Ministers Challenge Fund sites.
- The Midlands and East became the ‘go to’ region for national Access leads.
NECS brought to the client the benefits of a large Consultancy House skill set, with in depth understanding of the NHS.
The NECS team working with Clinical Commissioning Groups and the Profession ensures that the whole population spanning 17 Million have been able to get pre-bookable and same day appointments to extended access GP services seven days a week, 365 days a year from 1 October.
The benefits to having secured this target are far reaching and measurable providing a platform to improving the continued sustainability of primary care services.
The contract between NECS and the client is due to end March 2019, however the client will be left with:
- A set of tools for on-going support and management of Extended Access Schemes
- A set of strong sustainable schemes
- Empowered DCO teams who have worked alongside NECS consultants
NECS have regional recognition of a strong delivery team who have the skills and experience to produce results in the most challenging and transformational of environments.
View the NECS Consultancy company profile in the MCA Members Directory.