The MCA (Management Consultancies Association) has included a chapter devoted to the issue of EU membership in its latest Annual Report on the performance of the consulting industry (published this week). It is based on a series of interviews with leading figures in the consulting industry, an analysis of published material produced by consulting firms, and a special survey of MCA members.
The MCA concludes from this work that “no compelling economic case has been advanced for UK withdrawal” and points to a large majority who believe that leaving the EU would have a negative impact on the growth performance of their clients.
- 64% of respondents indicated that Brexit would have a negative or very negative impact on their firm’s growth prospects
- 57% indicated leaving the EU would have a negative or very negative impact on their access to skilled labour
- 92% say that leaving the EU would have a negative impact on the growth performance of their clients
- 81% indicated leaving the EU would have a negative or very negative impact on UK economic growth in the short term.
- 91% indicated remaining in the EU would be 'best for UK business'.
Alan Leaman, Chief Executive of the MCA, said:
“The UK is a world-leading centre for excellent management consulting firms that win business for Britain all around the globe. The EU represents our largest overseas market by far, and we also benefit from the ability to attract talented consultants from other member states.
“It is striking how strongly consultants view the economic risk to their clients from withdrawal. There is already anecdotal evidence of difficulties caused by the uncertainties surrounding the referendum itself.”
Notes to Editors:
- The MCA is the representative industry body for UK management consulting firms. The MCA's member companies comprise over 60 per cent of the UK consulting industry in fee income, employ around 45,000 consultants and work with over 90 of the top FTSE 100 companies and almost all parts of the public sector. All members adhere to the MCA Code of Practice that provides the consultancy buyer with reassurance that MCA firms maintain the highest standards.
- The MCA’s Annual Report is unique. It is based on an analysis of the detailed returns from member firms, as well as a number of other contributors. These firms represent around 60% of the total UK consulting industry. Given the nature of the information member firms provide, this is an analysis unrivalled in breadth, detail and authority.
- Full MCA Annual Report 2016 available HERE (enter link to report)
For more information, please contact:
Management Consultancies Association
Tel: 020 7645 7953